Who We Are

The History of Duke School

Duke School was established in 1947 as a lab school for the benefit of students in the departments of psychology and education at Duke University.

Duke School became independent of Duke in 1984 when a group of parents made it a nonprofit organization with the support and assistance of Terry Sanford, then president of Duke and the previous governor of North Carolina.