Duke School is an independent preschool (three-year-olds) through eighth grade project-based school. We inspire learners to boldly and creatively shape their future.
Duke School serves as a leading educational institution both within the Triangle and wider educational community. Its teaching methods continue as a model for both public and other independent schools, and its unique child-centered, project-based integrated curriculum continues to adapt to serve a variety of learning styles.
Our Mission & Core Values
What We Do
Inspire learners to boldly and creatively shape their future.
Why we do it
To inspire the next generation of problem solvers for our complex world.
IDEAS WE LIVE BY
Learner-Centered: Learners are the center of a dynamic and collaborative learning, inquiry and discovery process.
Active Inquiry: Intellectual curiosity through project-based learning propels learners to explore multiple paths to creative solutions.
Bold Thinkers: A deep love of learning and respect for our community forms bold, critical thinkers for life.
Excellence in education since 1947
- In 2014, The New York Times featured Duke School for being one of the few private schools on the East Coast to have a successful financial assistance strategy and offer an Indexed Tuition program.
- We are committed to engaging in the continuing public dialogue to improve education for all young people.
- Today, Duke School is nationally renowned.
- Duke School has made a particular contribution to the Durham community by producing outstanding students who are independent learners, thinkers, and decision makers helping to create a better future both for Durham and communities beyond Durham.
- Duke School has also helped raise consciousness about education in the Durham community and provided the expertise of its extraordinary teachers for other local schools.
ACCREDITATION & MEMBERSHIPS
- Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- North Carolina Association of Independent Schools (NCAIS)
- North Carolina Association for Middle Level Education (NCMLE)
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- Durham Chamber of Commerce